Emergency Ride Home
If you use a commute option, (you don't drive alone to work), at least 60 percent of your work week, and you work for a current (dues-paid) TMA-member employer, the TMA will pay your taxi or rental car if you have an emergency or unscheduled overtime and are stranded at work without a car.
To receive a voucher to pay for the ride, log in to Commuter Club. (see box at left). If you are not registered, click New User. Your emergency ride can be arranged through Yellow Cab, (for trips under 20 miles, or if you are too ill to drive), or through Enterprise Rent-a-Car (for trips more than 20 miles).
When you have an emergency, log in to Commuter Club and download a Voucher. The Voucher pays for the ride and a tip (for the taxi). Know how to use the program before there is an emergency, so get a test Voucher after you register.
- An immediate family member has an emergency
- A serious problem arises at your child's school or daycare
- Fire or burglary damages your home
- You are sick and can't wait for your normal ride home
- Your carpool or vanpool partner has an emergency and you have no way to get home
- Unscheduled, supervisor-approved overtime
- Your commute bicycle broke down today and can not be repaired at your work site.
- Unexpected severe weather is preventing you from cycling or walking home after work today.
- Personal errands
- Medical or dental appointments
- Building evacuations
- Business travel
- Job related injuries
- A natural disaster (floods)
- Transit problems (the transit provider is responsible for providing another bus or train)
- Missed bus, carpool or vanpool ride home
- Other reasons deemed invalid by program administrator.
Tips to make your rental car experience better:
Budget 40 minutes to rent a car: Approximately 15 minutes to be picked up, 10 minutes to travel to Enterprise, 5 minutes waiting in line, and 10 minutes to sign contract and do walk-around.
Most Enterprise offices close at 6:00 p.m. Rentals can be returned after hours. (There are after-hours drop-boxes for the key.)
The rental car is due back the next day, within 24 hours, and Enterprise will take you to your worksite. If you cannot return it to the original point, confirm before you leave that you can return it to an Enterprise location near your home without paying a “drop charge.”
Enterprise requires a $50 refundable deposit, either in cash or credit. (This is discounted from the usual $200.)
Enterprise requires a valid driver’s license. A copy will not do.
Child seats are available for rentacars.